Life is amazing. You get only one, and it’s essentially up to you what you want to do with it. There was a moment in late 2012 when I truly realized how profound that statement was, and I began questioning things. Steve Jobs once said,
For the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: “If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?” And whenever the answer has been “No” for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something … Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
His words resonated with me, and over the past year, my wife and I began making some big changes—embracing minimalism, leaving my full-time job and setting out on my own as a freelance web designer/developer, being some of the biggest changes.
My List of Outlandish Goals
Here is my list of what I will call “outlandish goals”. Tim Ferriss, author of the 4-Hour Workweek, says that unrealistic goals are actually easier to attain than “realistic” goals. That being said, some of these goals are actually quite realistic. However, a few on the list could very much qualify as “unrealistic”, and that’s exactly the point. I believe in the power of positive-thinking, and persistence.
Plus, I’ve never really been one to aim for the “realistic”. The real world is kind of overrated
My reasoning for posting these goals is to hold myself accountable, and perhaps to inspire somebody else to make a list of goals or dreams they’d love to accomplish themselves. This list will constantly evolve, be added to and change over time. It’s also important to note that these goals involve my family and not just myself (specifically the travel-related goals).
Learn Spanish— I’m still learning this one, but I’ve learned enough to consider this goal accomplished
- Learn French
- Learn Italian
Travel & Adventure
Surf in Hawaii— Completed May 2011 & October 2013 Film myself Bodyboarding or Surfing with a GoPro Camera— Completed October 2013
- Learn to Kiteboard
- Visit every Hawaiian Island
O’ahu Hawai’i (Big Island) Maui
- Travel the UK and Europe
- Drink a real pint of Guinness in Ireland
- Visit Dingle, Ireland and meet a Hussey
- Drink Scotch in Scotland
- Walk the Camino de Santiago, with my family, in Spain
- Eat pizza & drink wine in Italy
- Have a short conversation with someone en Français, in France
- Eat real Greek food in Greece
- Visit St. Pierre et Miquelon (A colony of France, only 20km off the coast of Newfoundland)
- Visit Easter Island
- Visit Costa Rica
Work for myself— Began September 1, 2012 Have 500 subscribers for my Udemy course, PSD to HTML5 & CSS3— Completed May 10, 2013 Have 1,000 subscribers for my Udemy course, PSD to HTML5 & CSS3— Completed July 25, 2013 Have 5,000 subscribers for my Udemy course, PSD to HTML5 & CSS3— Get 75% off by getting your coupon code in the sidebar on the right! Have 500 subscribers for my Udemy course, Web Hosting 101— Completed May, 2013 Have 1,000 subscribers for my Udemy course, Web Hosting 101— Completed May, 2013 Have 5,000 subscribers for my Udemy course, Web Hosting 101 Make a consistent passive income with Udemy courses— I’ve achieved this goal, but it can never really be “complete”
Make a significant passive monthly income with Udemy courses— Online course sales accounted for 15% of my 2013 income!
- Publish 10 Udemy courses — currently have 4, working on a 5th
- Build a website focused on providing free & premium online courses
- Win a web design award on awwwards.com or thefwa.com — submitted one website to awwwards so far
- Write an eBook
- Write a real book
- Have 50% of my income be passive income
- Become financially independent and live entirely off of interest on savings & investments
- Have 10,000 YouTube subscribers
- Have 10,000 Twitter followers
- Have 1,000 Facebook Likes for Brightside Studios — help me out my clicking “like” below:
Have a child
- Speak at a TED or TEDx event
- Send my parents on a trip of a lifetime
- Own property somewhere tropical
- Memorize the order of a deck of shuffled cards (I can do 26 so far!)
- Write a folk album with Laura
- Sell the folk album on iTunes
Keep checking back to see how I’ve been doing!